Fracture Risk CalculatorFracture Risk Calculator EspanolFracture Risk Calculator Chinese

The Faces of Osteoporosis

Featured Partners

Thank you for supporting American Bone Health.
partners

Bone Health FairBest Bones ForeverBuild healthy bones for lifeDo It Right and Prevent FracturesTake the test to determine your risk of bone fractureVolunteer with American Bone Health
This event is no longer available

Get answers to your bone health questions walk-tall-2

The Bone Zone

Current issues from our Medical and Scientific Advisory Board members
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
Prev Next

We must use tools for osteoporosis prevention by David Karpf, MD

We must use tools for osteoporosis prevention by David Karpf, MD

Bone Mineral Density (BMD) testing is an important diagnostic tool for health care providers to understand one component of bone health. However, it is not the entire story. There are critically important clinical risk factors, as measured by a number of tools including the FORE Fracture Risk Calculator™ (https://riskcalculator.fore.org) that assess the possibility of fracture – the most important consequence of bone loss.  To focus exclusi... Read more

Osteoporosis Screening: An Unmet Medical Necessity by Claude Arnaud, MD

Osteoporosis Screening: An Unmet Medical Necessity by Claude Arnaud, MD

Physicians have identified only 30% of the US residents who have osteoporosis. While these patients have been screened for bone loss and have had the opportunity to be treated, the remaining 70% with osteoporosis are living with the serious threat of hip or spine fracture and possible long-term disability or death. This is an unacceptable level of medical care that has a simple solution. Women over 65 and men over 70 years are at high risk for o... Read more

Sticks and Stones and Brittle Bones by Moshe Lewis, MD

Sticks and Stones and Brittle Bones by Moshe Lewis, MD

One might find it surprising that many people in “healthy” California are at significant risk for fractures and may not know it. I worked with American Bone Health in July and learned this first hand. Using a web-based tool, I joined 138 other volunteers at 36 Walgreens Stores throughout California. Together we screened 523 older adults. 72% of those people we screened were at moderate or high risk of having a life-changing fracture in the ... Read more

We need more emphasis on fracture risk evaluation by Bruce Ettinger, MD

We need more emphasis on fracture risk evaluation by Bruce Ettinger, MD

For the past 20 years, we have been fortunate to have bone densitometers that provide a reliable diagnostic test for osteoporosis--- the bone mineral density (BMD) test. This test has led to better identification of people at risk for fracture who can be treated effectively and, on the other hand, to better discriminate people whose risk of fracture is low and who needn’t worry.  Recent studies confirm that BMD changes are relatively small... Read more

Primary care should handle most osteoporosis patients by Frederic Singer, MD

Primary care should handle most osteoporosis patients by Frederic Singer, MD

There are nearly 164,000 primary care doctors (not including pediatricians) in the US compared to an estimated 4,000 endocrinologists and 4,946 rheumatologists who see adult patients. If you count the number of endocrinologists who specialize in osteoporosis, the number is much smaller. So if 40 million people are at risk for osteoporosis, how will they ever see an endocrinologist? Well – they won’t. It’s an unfortunate tale that in medical schoo... Read more

Improving Exercise Guidelines for Bone Health

Improving Exercise Guidelines for Bone Health

Stronger Evidence for Stronger Bones When a woman is prescribed exercise for the prevention or treatment of osteoporosis, there are two questions she will probably want to ask her orthopedic doctor: “What exercise activities are best for my bones?” and “How much exercise do I need?” Surprisingly, there is not enough clinical research data to provide definite answers to these important questions.  Instead, doctors currently base their advice on ... Read more

Meet our Volunteers

I'm currently a Pilates instructor, mostly teaching women over 60. This is my "encore" career, following several years as a college professor (applied math and computer science) and another several years as an engineering R&D manager at a high tech company.

Proud member of

  • 2million2many
  • Strong Bones
  • North American Menopause Society
  • NOF
  • NBHA-Logo
  • ISCD
  • Huesos Fuertes Ahora
  • Female Athlete Triad
  • ASBMR