Tips to Prevent Falls During Winter Months
These eight tips can help you to maintain your balance and move confidently across snowy, icy, or wet surfaces:
- Wear shoes with good traction.
- Dress warm. If you’re warm, your muscles will stay relaxed. Tense muscles can adversely affect your balance.
- Be careful getting out of your car. Plant both feet firmly on the ground before moving. Steady yourself on the door frame until you have your balance.
- Don’t take shortcuts. Stay on cleared sidewalks and paths, and don’t walk between parked cars. Remember that grassy slopes can be as slippery as snowy steps.
- Take extra time. Don’t rush. Take short steps with your toes pointed slightly outward to maintain a stable base of support.
- Pay attention. Stay aware of the surfaces ahead of you. Look down with your eyes only. If you move your head downward, you may shift your balance.
- When walking in the dark or in shadowy areas, stay alert for black ice. It is treacherous and extremely slippery.
- Keep your driveway and walkways clear. Pay someone to do this if necessary.